DIY GARDEN ART: PAINTED ROCKS ON A STICK



Gardening is something that I am not a master of, but I try to plant a little something every summer. 

This year I expanded the garden to try a few more things, and well, I’ve had a few bunny attacks, and it’s been so dry I’m just hoping I can get what’s left to keep on growing. 

That’s how this little DIY garden art project came about.

 I guess you could call it a plea to my garden; PLEASE GROW.


FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.

DIY GARDEN ART: PAINTED ROCKS ON A STICK

SUPPLIES USED

Two pieces of scrap lumber. (2×3 cut at 9 inches)
Two pieces of 1/2 inch rebar. (13 inches long)
Ten rocks
Craft Paint and Brushes
Paint Markers
 E600 Glue
Spray Lacquer
Drill and 1/2inch spade drill bit
Hammer

I have a handful of lumber scraps in my garden shed and found the two pieces I’m using for this project in that pile. They’re 2×3 cut at about 9 inches.

I also had the 1/2-inch rebar sticks already cut at 13 inches. 

You do not have to use rebar. 

You could use a dowel or another type of stick.

Rebar can be found at most lumber yards; I shop at Menards. I don’t think they have anything shorter than 24″, but they’re easy to cut with a grinder. 

GARDEN ART ON A STICK

To start my garden art on a stick project, I used a 1/2-inch spade drill bit and my drill to make a hole into the bottom of my lumber scraps. I drilled the hole about 1.5 inches deep.


Next, I painted the lumber a bright lime green with my craft paint and painted a base coat on the rocks. I went with different hues of blues.

After the base coat dried on the rocks, I painted my letters and some dots. I used white paint first, then limes green, and lastly, I used a blue Posca Paint Marker to make the lettering look cleaner.


When the letters were dry, I used the E600 Glue and glued the rocks onto the painted pieces of scrap lumber. I also sprayed over the top of the rocks with lacquer to give them a glossy finish.



Finally, I took the rebar sticks and hammered them down into the holes I had drilled before painting.


I stuck the rebar into my garden soil, and ta-da! Garden Art on a Stick.


Now I have to do is continue wishing for rain, and hopefully, the word PLEASE will motivate my garden to keep on trying.

XOXO

Emily