CHICKEN COOP INTERIOR. NESTING BOXES, PERCHES, A SWING, AND COOP DECOR



In this post, I’m sharing the interior of the new pink chicken coop. It’s kind of part two of my last post, you can read that post, WELL, THAT DIDN'T GO AS PLANNED, THE NEW CHICKEN COOP.

Originally the plan was to replace the floor of the old coop, then move it about 10 feet from its original location and redo the interior nesting boxes and perches.

The moving of the old chicken coop did not go as planned, it crumbled, and now we have a new pink chicken coop.

In this post, I'll be sharing the new coop interior, plus I leave you with a post bonus, where I share some top-selling nesting box, perch and coop toys as well.

Enjoy! 

Member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program

FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.

THE CHICKEN COOP INTERIOR

PERCHES AND A SWING

PERCHES

For perches, I used 1″ x 3″ furring strip I had left from a basement remodel project. I lined them along the walls and in front of the nesting boxes at different levels.




THE SWING

For the swing, I used a scrap piece of 2″ x 2″ furring strip. The wood piece is 18″ long, and I drilled holes at the end of each side for the rope. The swing hangs 12 inches from the ground.


NESTING BOXES

Yep, more scrap lumber.

The squares for nesting measure 14″ x 14″.

I used plywood, 2x4s and 1″ x 3″ furring strips. A good rule of thumb is one nesting box for every four chickens, and nesting boxes should at least be 12″x12″.



After I installed the boxes into the coop, I decided to add some extra boards to the top to hold pine shavings. I know they’re going to rest up there, and with the pine shavings, it will be easier to keep clean.






CHICKEN COOP DECOR

BREAKFAST MENU

This idea came to me because I now have eight different breeds of chickens, and I was trying to think of a clever way to remember all the breeds and their egg colors. So, I made up this breakfast menu 

BREAKFAST MENU

RAINBOW EGGS FROM THE COOP
Large Blue Eggs
Laid fresh by the exceptional Whiting True Blues and Ameraucanas in the coop.
Large Brown Eggs
Dropped fresh by the magnificent Light Brahmas and Speckled Sussex.
Medium Brown Eggs
Carefully prepared by the Blue Cochin.
Small Brown Eggs
Delicately made by the sweetest of silkies.
Large Dark Brown Eggs
All natural can include additional speckles by Welsummer.
White Eggs
No artificial coloring, freshly served by the White Crested Black Polish.
DON’T FORGET TO THANK YOUR HEN

I decided an old-school menu would be fun, and I know some of you can/could/will make a better sign, but this one is fast and easy peasy.


THE STEPS:
Paint a piece of plywood.
Print design on printer paper.
Mod Podge printed paper to painted plywood.
Add saw tooth picture hangers to the back of the plywood to hang in the coop.

SANITATION & LIGHTING

We keep hand sanitizers in all of our barns.

It’s easy to grab after you’ve handled the animals and can’t get in and wash your hands after chores right away.

I also have a small LED light that works with batteries.

You can switch it on if you need to do some checking or chores while it’s dark.

Yes, I know that the chickens are just going to poop in this freshly pinked-out chicken coop interior, and that’s ok because just like with my old chicken coop, I’ll give this beauty a fresh new coat every couple of years.

XOXO

Emily

POST BONUS

TOP-SELLING SHOPPABLE LINKS TO NESTING BOXES, PERCHES, AND CHICKEN COOP TOYS


Hanging Chicken Feeder 

Chicken Swing

Triangle Perch - Perfect for chicks.

Single Wood Nesting Box

Roosting Perch

8 Box Nesting Box

Plastic Single Nesting Box

 Perch Toy Stand

3 Box Metal Nesting Box

SHOP MORE FUN CHICKEN COOP SUPPLIES


YOU MIGH ALSO ENJOY THESE CHICKEN RELATED POSTS