KITCHEN ISLAND IDEA: REPURPOSING A 100-YEAR-OLD BUFFET INTO A KITCHEN ISLAND



In my kitchen, the kitchen island is my favorite piece of furniture.


It's an antique buffet that I've repurposed.


Take note: anyone can have a buffet like this.


You just have to snag a few pieces from Facebook Marketplace or any second-hand dealer.


You can even paint it any color if you're not into the stained wood look.


The pros of this kitchen island project are that you will have a unique piece for your kitchen, and you can pretty much create your own budget.


My cost for this DIY KITCHEN ISLAND came to a little over $600.00, and that's not bad for a one-of-a-kind, hand-carved, solid wood piece with a granite top.



FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.


A LITTLE ABOUT THE BUFFET AND REPURPOSE PROJECT

This gorgeous buffet, now kitchen island, is at least 100 years old with beautifully carved details, and the ball feet are FABULOUS! 

I found this piece on Facebook Marketplace for around $375.00.



I attached granite to the top with a very strong adhesive glue, and I think the granite was around $200.00, and another Facebook Marketplace find.


I was really happy for the granite slab I found because it had a nice pencil edge.



When placing the granite onto the top of the buffet, I left an 8-inch overhang around the backside for seating leg space.


Now, speaking of the backside, this piece was a buffet, so it was meant to be placed against a wall, and the backside was kind of ugly.


To fix this, I attached an old door, also found on Facebook Marketplace, for around $30.00.




HERE'S HOW MY KITCHEN ISLAND TURNED OUT








I almost painted it white, but for now, I am so thankful I did not.


I love the darker wood color, and I think it blends with the rest of my home's open floor plan very well.


If you're looking for a unique and budget-friendly Kitchen Island idea and don't mind a little DIY, I hope this idea is a good one for ya.


XOXO

Emily

I know, I know, some of you hate cats on the counter, thankfully we have a kitty playroom so we can lock them up when we make meals. 



You can see the kitty playroom under the post, COME SEE THE KITTY CAT PLAYROOM


YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RELATABLE POSTS


HOW I UPCYCLED VINTAGE FURNITURE FOR THE PRIMARY BATHROOM

BATHROOM VANITY IDEA: TURNING A VINTAGE DRESSER INTO A VANITY

ENTRY CLOSET MAKEOVER: DIVIDING THE SPACE WITH A BOOKSHELF

HOW I REPURPOSED A HANDFUL OF OLD DOORS IN OUR HOME