REPURPOSING METAL KITCHEN CHAIRS FOR OUTDOOR SEATING

I purchased new chairs for our kitchen island a while ago, and I had put the old chairs out in the garage because I knew I wanted to repurpose them for outdoor use since they are metal.

Now, if you know me, you’ll know I’m going to use what I have around the house before I purchase anything new to upcycle these cuties, so off to my scrap wood pile I went.


FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More

METAL CHAIRS TO OUTDOOR SEATING

The first thing I had to do was take off the old cushions and measure the area of the seat that needed to be covered.


After that, I decided that I was going to use some scrap cedar boards I found in my wood pile, so I cut the boards to size and attached them to the chair with the chairs already made screw holes from the original seat cushion.


I probably could have gotten a little fancier and cut my boards angled, but for this chair project, I decided a square seat was just fine.


What wasn’t fine was a few old screw holes in the boards, so I patched them up with wood filler and sanded the boards before painting them.


Each chair received its own color, you know, we like a little color around the yard here.


The paint is multipurpose craft paint, and they are sealed with a waterproof poly spray, and yes, these blue chairs are different shades.


I also did on in lime green and bright pink.



I had a 4×4 treated lumber post and some treated decking board scraps, so I built a small square tabletop and attached it to the top to the 4×4 post with brackets.

The post is buried in the ground for stability.



I put this little repurposed set out in the pony pasture shaded from the trees and near our small firepit area.


It’s a good spot because depending on where you sit, you can view the chickens in the pink coop or the ponies in their dry lot.



It’s also nicely shaded, so I can bring my painting supplies outside to paint during the afternoons and enjoy the views.


I’m glad I saved these metal chairs to repurpose for outdoors.

Metal chairs are great because they are pretty much maintenance free, so if you find a good deal snag them for a project like this one.

This little seating area was repurposed with items I already had around the hobby farm beside the brackets for the tabletop, and I think they set me back around $5.00.

It’s nothing fancy, but it’s colorful and cute.

Happy Creating!