CONVERTING THE CLUBHOUSE TO A GARDEN SHED: PLUS, A POST BONUS OF 24 TOP-SELLING YARD AND GARDEN SUPPLIES

I decided to makeover the garden shed, which once was my boy's clubhouse when they were younger. 

The boys built the clubhouse in my parent’s garage, with my dad teaching them how to measure, cut, and use tools, and they even ran electrical wires.


Member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program

FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More

It started with a book my mom had purchased a book called KEEP OUT Build Your Own Backyard Clubhouse, and the building idea went from there.


The boys built the clubhouse in my parent’s garage, with my dad teaching them how to measure, cut, and use tools, and they even ran electrical wires. 

After the clubhouse was built in their garage, they dismantled it and transferred it to our house. 

It was a fun project and a great way for the boys to learn a few handy life lessons.

Eventually, as all kids do, they grow up, and I was left with a very sturdy building on the side of our property that has been converted into a storage shed for yard supplies.

SPEAKING OF YARD SUPPLIES when I finish sharing the clubhouse makeover with you, I've curated a POST BONUS, sharing to 24 top-selling yard and garden tools, that you'll want to check out. 

LET’S GIVE THE CLUBHOUSE A WHITEWASH

When the boys first transferred their clubhouse to the property, it had plywood siding, but since they were putting it in a visible area of the yard, I had them dress it up a little bit by adding the cedar shakes.

Every few years, I’d stain the cedar shakes to keep them looking fresh, but this year I decided no more stain and went with a whitewash to match the other buildings on our property, which are white with green roofing and trim.



I used a paint brand called American Heartland Exterior Latex Flat White Barn, House & Fence Paint.

I used a hand brush and felt the paint was very watery.

After I started, I realized that I probably should have used my paint sprayer to save time, but sometimes, I don’t think things through.

I also hate cleaning the paint sprayer.


LESS CLUBHOUSE, MORE GARDEN SHED

Next, I cleaned the trim around the door by giving it a little more shape with a few boards. I also replaced the trim around one window and added a little shelf. 

Since the windows didn’t exactly match in size, I covered one window with vintage mirrors I had left over from a vanity project.

The door, trim, and along the roofline received a fresh coat of Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Latex Paint, Hunter Green. 


As for the landscape, I removed a pallet that was in front of the door and built the small green step.

I also plan to leave the catmint since it’s pretty low maintenance, even though it looks rough due to the dry weather we’re experiencing.

I’m hoping it starts to perk up and give off some pretty purple bloom again.

For now, shredded straw around the Catmint, and steps is what it will be.



I think it looks so much better as a whitewashed garden shed vs. a clubhouse; how about you?

As always, thank you so much for stopping by and supporting the blog today! 

It truly means so much to me and the hobby farm.

XOXO

Emily

POST BONUS: 24 TOP-SELLING YARD AND GARDEN SUPPLIES

Since I just shared the garden shed makeover, I thought it might be fun to share some of the yard and garden tools that could be hidden inside.

Some of these supplies are already my personal favorites and some are curated from Amazon's Best-Seller Gardening Supplies List.

After reading many reviews I've added so many of these great supplies to my wish list, and I'm guessing they might end up on yours now too.

 Plus, another great thing about this list, yard and garden tools, THEY MAKE GREAT GIFT IDEAS 


1. 
Portable Walk-in Greenhouse

2. Four Tier Mini Greenhouse

3. Nine Pieces Garden Tool Set

4. Lawn Aerator Shoes

5. Repotting Mats

6. Five-Pack of 5-Gallon Fabric Grow Bags

7. Grandpa's Weeder - This is an addicting, relaxing tool.

8. COOLJOB Garden Gloves - GREAT GIFT for women.

9. AeroGarden Seed Pod Kit

10. Wire Plant Protector

11. Garden Dump Cart  - Wagons are my favorite farm tool.

12. Thick Soft Foam Kneeling Pad

13. Outdoor Potting Bench

14. Outdoor Garden Sink - If you read my DIY Garden sink post, you know I LOVE having an outdoor sink.

15. Acron Picker Upper Roller

16. Seed Spacer

17. Leaf Collector

18. Flexzilla Garden Hose - Personal Favorite

19. Bird Bath Solar Fountain - These are also great to float in large pots with water for a DIY outdoor pond idea.

20. Pruning Shears - Over 45,000 ratings with 4.7 stars. It's a GREAT one.

21. Soil Moisture Meter - Helps detect if your indoor/outdoor plant needs watering. Plant Mom and Dads will love this. A GIFT IDEA.

22. Galvanized Garden Beds - Amazon has so many great garden beds to choose from. I personally prefer galvanized over wood.

23. Moss Pole Plant Climbers

24. Fiber Glass Shovel 

SHOP MORE BEST-SELLING GARDEN SUPPLIES


YOU MIGHT ENJOY THESE RELATABLE POSTS

REPURPOSING METAL KITCHEN CHAIRS FOR OUTDOOR SEATING

DIY BACKYARD GARDEN SINK