HOW I REPURPOSED AN OLD BED FRAME INTO A CAT BED

Recently, I removed the queen-size bed from the spare bedroom, and of course, it’s been sitting in the garage waiting for a purpose.

Now, I could make a bench, which may still happen because after this project was complete, I was still left with the headboard and an extra spindle piece from the footboard, but in this post, I’m going to share how I used the footboard to make a DIY CAT BED, and YES, there will be cute cat pics.

REPURPOSING AN OLD BED FRAME INTO A CAT BED


FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.

Step one was to dismantle the footboard.

I chopped the large board into two equal pieces and used them for the cat bed platform.

Then, each of the footboard legs was cut into four 6.5-inch pieces, making a total of eight.

Six of those pieces were used for the cat bed legs, and the two with the rounded balls on top were used for the headboard area.

I screwed the 6.5-inch pieces onto the two bed platform pieces and VOILA! I had a cat bed.


You may also notice that I added a dowel and a piece of rebar between the two pieces that make the headboard.

To do this, I drilled holes to fit them and added some liquid nail glue to keep them in place.

The only reason I used the rebar was that I didn’t have another dowel on hand, and the rebar was already cut to the size I needed.

My hubby may be looking for the rebar later in life, but don’t tell him I used it. LOL.

After everything was all screwed together and looking like a small cat-sized bed, I went to my paint stash and grabbed some leftover blue paint.

I also hit up my craft cabinet and found some blue velvet fabric perfect for the bed skirt.


To secure the bed skirt, I used my staple gun.

To hide the staples I folded the fabric in half and stapled the center crease.

This way, I could fold the fabric over the staples to hide them.



Now, the easiest part of this project is the mattress and bedding.

I just used a pillow and folded the end at the headboard area to give the illusion of a pillow.


My mom had made a lap-size blanket that was the perfect cover for kitty bedding.



Now these spoiled kitties of ours have another place to snooze, like the catio, kitty playroom, pet furniture pieces, and my bed aren’t enough.

ON TO THE CUTE CAT PICS

Teddy the bed jumper with Huey in the background waiting for his turn.


Dewey ready to snooze.



Panda, playing the monster under the bed.



Dell waiting for Goodnight kisses from his Mama May-May.


Mama May-May ready to give Dell those goodnight kisses.


Of course, Macho Man, the king tabby cat of this household, is too COOL to put baby cats to bed, so he’s the only one of our furry felines missing from this DIY CAT BED POST.

And I’ll be honest, this small cat bed looks pretty stinking cute in our bedroom next to our king bed.

Thanks for visiting the blog today.

XOXO

Emily

POST BONUS: In case you don't have all the supplies or can't make your own cat bed, enjoy these shoppable top selling cat bed links.



1. Banana Cat Bed

2.Fuzzy Tunnel Donut Cat Bed

3. Round Cushion Cat Bed

4. Couch Cat Bed

5. Cat Window Mount Bed

6. Heart-shaped Cat Bed

7. Wooden Hammock Cat Bed

8. Fluffy Round Cat Bed

SHOP MORE CAT BED IDEAS

You might also enjoy all the fun cat posts under the FOR CAT LOVERS category of the blog.