DESING YOUR OWN HAT: DIY HAND PAINTED FEDORA


 

Are you loving the painted hat trend?

I’ve been seeing the painted fedora and western-style hats all over, and paint-and-sip parties specifically for painting these fun hats have been popping up as events in my area at local wineries.

Lucky me, I happened to snag a cute felt fedora-style hat on clearance for under $5.00, so I decided to try giving it a little painted hat makeover.


FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.

First, if you’d like to give painting a hat a go, here are the supplies I used.

SUPPLIES

  • Inexpensive Felt Fedora Hat 
  • Black Paint Markers
  • Craft Paint Brushes: I used round paintbrushes.
  • Craft Paints: I’ll share the colors in the post.
  • Modeling Paste: I used this for texture, but it’s optional.
  • Krylon Varnish Spray 

I’ll also say that this design your own hat paint project was super fun, and I think it’s a project pre-teens, teens, and adults will all enjoy.

The design of this hand-painted hat is pretty simple, and since I’ve never painted a fedora hat before, the supplies I used are very inexpensive and easy to work with.

I started with apple barrel craft paint in the color green turquoise. 


Then I mixed apple barrel craft paint in Diva Pink with molding paste.

The molding paste is optional, but it gives a ticker texture so the flowers will appear to pop off the hat versus being flat on the surface.


I used a small round paintbrush to paint the molding paste and pink paint mixture into circles over the turquoise.


After I applied the pink, I again used a small round paint brush to circle in some white craft paint 
for a rose petal look.



Next was time to fill some space with a simple five-petal white flowers. 

I added some details to the flowers by placing a small yellow dot in the center of the white petals.

Then, I add lime green leaves to the roses.


It still needed a little space filler, so I grabbed my black paint marker and made some dots.

Lastly, to protect my paint and brighten everything up, I used Krylon Varnish Spray, which gives a slight sheen.


Personally, I think this hat turned out so cute, and like I mentioned, it was a SUPER fun crafty project idea. 

I also realized after hanging it off the mirror in the dining room, that it gives a fun pop of color for a spring/summer decor piece.




Of course, this DIY designed hat was also too cute not to let the pony girls try it on for a photo!

Scroll down to see who wore it better.

Have a great day!

XOXO

Emily

CEDAR


SHILOH


MIXIE