DIY HUMMINGBIRD PERCH: MADE FROM A HORSESHOE



Hummingbird perches are so fun, and I’ve made many different ones over the years but this time I've decided to make one with a horseshoe.


FARM DUST AND PAINT is reader-supported. When you click and purchase through links or images on this page, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More.

DIY HUMMINGBIRD PERCH:  MADE FROM A HORSESHOE

SUPPLIES NEEDED

Horseshoe

Small Piece of sandpaper.

Metal Paint – I used FolkArt

Paintbrush 

Two pieces of thin wire cut at 20 inches.

E600 Glue

Faux suede cording cut at about 20 inches.

Beads- Make sure the hole in the bead is large enough to sting your wire through.



First, I prepared the horseshoe for paint by lightly sanding it with sandpaper, then I painted it with FolkArt Multi-Surface craft paint in baby pink.





Butcher block oil is a food-safe stain, so I figured it would be pretty safe for hummingbird feet, and I had it on hand.



Once everything was dry, I took a 20-inch piece of thin wire and placed it through the lowest slot in the horseshoe, and centered it equally.


After the wire was inserted, I started to wrap the wire around the horseshoe adding one bead at a time, and I repeated this step on both sides of the horseshoe until I had eight beads on each side.





Then I attached the dowel to the bottom by wrapping it with the leftover wire on each side.


To add the faux suede and chain hanger, I used E600 glue.

I placed a small amount of glue on the horseshoe and carefully wrapped my used rope around the chain, making the chain into a loop for hanging.



Hopefully, I see a hummingbird using the perch real soon. I think they will love this adorable little horseshoe perch, don’t you?

Have a great day friend!

XOXO

Emily